Cerro Coso Community College engages in intercollegiate athletics primarily to enhance the education of those who participate, and provide the opportunity to further develop life skills applicable both inside and outside of athletics. It is the mission of Cerro Coso Athletics to make the educational enhancement produced by participation in intercollegiate athletics available to as many students as possible. To assure that this is the case, Cerro Coso College seeks to:
- Provide equity of access to intercollegiate athletics for women and men in an amateur athletic setting;
- Assure student access to a variety of intercollegiate sports;
- Provide an athletics environment that places emphasis on the safety and well being of the student-athlete;
- Provide, within the limits of budget and student interest, as many sports as possible
- Provide facilities and equipment appropriate to the needs and the levels of competition of the intercollegiate teams.
As a CCCAA school, Cerro Coso Community College does not provide financial aid to students based on athletic ability. The same standards for awarding financial aid are applied to athletes and non-athletes.
Important factors in encouraging student participation in intercollegiate athletics include coaching excellence and reasonable scheduling. In these areas, Cerro Coso Community College seeks to:
- Provide all intercollegiate teams with coaches who:
- Know and can teach the sport they coach; Will deal honestly and equitably with prospective students, and with members of their teams;
- Are aware of and responsive to the classroom needs of their athletes;
- Provide equitable levels of competition for all intercollegiate teams;?
- Emphasize the importance of regular-season competition within the Central Valley Conference, and with other Southern California community colleges of similar philosophy and ability.
Cerro Coso Community College acknowledges its responsibility to support, within budget constraints, its intercollegiate athletes when they have opportunities for post-season competition in CCCAA games or tournaments.
As a CCCAA institution, Cerro Coso Community College maintains a particular relationship between the College and intercollegiate athletics. That relationship assures that:
- Intercollegiate athletes are integrated into normal campus life.
The Athletics Department is an integral part of Cerro Coso Community College, and of its overall educational mission, “to provide tailored programs and equitable services to the students in the communities and rural areas we serve, [and to] demonstrate a conscious effort to produce and support student success and achievement.”
- All those who are affected by intercollegiate athletics promote and are exposed to the highest standards of sporting behavior and ethical conduct. Cerro Coso Community College, in accordance with CCCAA standards, promotes good sportsmanship by student-athletes, coaches and spectators. The Cerro Coso Athletic Department encourages that officials, student-athletes, coaches and team representatives are supported in a positive manner.
The Mission of the Cerro Coso Community College Athletic Department is to enhance the educational objectives of the college, providing equity of access to services in support of the college’s Mission Statement and Title IX. Cerro Coso engages in intercollegiate athletics primarily to enhance the education of those who participate, and to provide a platform from which students can attain their highest potential. By providing an emphasis on academics, a high level of competition, and programs designed to emphasize positive social and community interaction, we open the opportunity to further develop life skills applicable both inside and outside of athletics. The Athletic Department strives to open the availability of educational enhancement produced by participation in intercollegiate athletics to as many students as possible, and to support our student-athletes’ goal of preparation for the next chapter of their lives’ by graduating from our institution.